RoboSoft Grand Challenge
April 29 - 30, 2016, Livorno, Italy
The First outdoor Challenge of Soft Robots
Total prize: 5000 € + additional prizes and financial support for participants
The RoboSoft Grand Challenge aimed at inspiring and pushing innovations in robotics technology and included tasks in two different competitions:
- Terrestrial race: a competition on different terrains with obstacles avoidance
- Manipulation: a competition in the manipulation task of different objects
The call was open to international teams of experts in soft robotics, young researchers and students, but also to the wide public and curiosity driven people able to compete in this field.
After the evaluation phase, 23 teams composed by students and researchers from 12 institutions worldwide have been selected to participate in the RoboSoft Grand Challenge.
17 robots from 9 international universities finally competed in the Grand Challenge: 7 robots competed in the Manipulation Competition, 12 robots competed in the Terrestrial Race, and 2 of them competed in both of the scenarios performing the whole Grand Challenge.
The RoboSoft Grand Challenge was the final event of the Soft Robotics Week.
- Manipulation Competition: CoSoRo, University of Colorado, USA
- Terrestrial Race: OTO, University of Cambridge, UK
- Grand Challenge: MADMAX, Seoul National University, Korea
Grand Challange Aftermovie:
- April 29: teams setup and robots test-drive (only for authorized people and team members)
- April 30: Grand Challenge competition. Open event.
- "Bagni Pancaldi", Viale Italia 56 - 57127 Livorno
Rules and participation documents:
- RoboSoft 2016 Grand Challenge Rules
- RoboSoft 2016 Grand Challenge Intent Form
- RoboSoft 2016 Grand Challenge Technical Document
Organizing committee and support team:
- Cecilia Laschi, The BioRobotics Institute
- Fumiya Iida, University of Cambridge
- Jonathan Rossiter, University of Bristol
- Helmut Hauser, University of Bristol
- Matteo Cianchetti, The BioRobotics Institute
- Marcello Calisti, The BioRobotics Institute
- Laura Margheri, The BioRobotics Institute
- Mariangela Manti, The BioRobotics Institute
- Francesco Corucci, The BioRobotics Institute
Evaluation procedure dates:
- (September 30) October 31, 2015: extended deadline for the submission of the intent form (mandatory for the pre-selection): Call closed.
- (December 31) January 17, 2016: extended deadline for the submission of pre-selection material (technical document and video)
- January 31, 2016: notification of acceptance: Teams have been selected
- April 29-30, 2016: RoboSoft Grand Challenge